Friday 21 March 2014

I'm not a fan of introductions.

First impressions are supposed to be so important, but I rarely do them well. For instance, if you were meeting me in person for the first time, you would probably think I was a fairly quiet person. Maybe even aloof. I'm really not, and if you could speak to any one of my long time friends, they'd tell you I'm anything but shy. I just really have a hatred of small talk. I detest it actually. I find it pointless, boring and awkward to make conversation about the weather, or the latest football scores, with a stranger. So I tend to keep to myself.

Most of the time I'm happy to just sit and people watch. Like at school drop off, and pick up, for example. I watch the other mums interact with each other, and find it interesting to witness them forming their cliques. I'd actually like to befriend a couple of them. Their conversations make me think we'd get along. But there's that thing again...introductions...small talk. Yuck. So I just tend to hang back.

I sometimes wish I was more like my partner. Now, there's a talker. Jason just has the gift of the gab. I mean he can seriously talk a leg off a chair. He'll walk up to just about anyone, and still be there an hour later nattering away. He cracks jokes, and makes friends easily with his warmth and charisma. But, put a pen in his hand and ask him to jot down his thoughts, and he'll hyperventilate. Give him a book and he'll be asleep before the second page. Speaking is Jason's "thing"Writing, not so much. But, just as he communicates best through the spoken word, I thrive through the written. Just as he is able to really open up to others through his oral ability, I am able to do the same through a piece of writing.

Writing has done so much for me in my life. It's given me confidence, because although I can occasionally be verbally awkward, I am completely as ease and comfortable with a pen in my hand, or a keyboard in my lap. It's also provided me with a vehicle to use to speak about things I'm passionate about...and there's lots of those. I can chuck on some yoga pants, pour a wine, then sit cross legged with my phone, or computer, and just...write. Writing is my thing.

I'd love for my writing to resonate with others, but that's truely not my priority. This blog is in essence an outlet. Somewhere for me to write about what matters to me...whatever that may be on any given day.

Oh, and to perhaps give my facebook friends a break from my incredibly long status updates ;-)

 

A couple of my favourite pics of Jason and I from New Year's Eve last year

2 comments:

  1. Love it!. Its an awesome start, make sure you keep it up, and although some may be bothered by the length of your Facebook post's I am not. I do have a simple request though, please notify us on face book when you update your blog. This journey may be new to you but it is for me too, I have never read or followed someone's blog before, I look forward to reading what you have to say, as I do on face book.
    Xoxo Kyles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Kylie! I really do appreciate your kind words. It means a lot xx

    ReplyDelete